Asked in Family Law, Adoption and Native American Law for Oregon

Q: I also have another question I was adopted when I was two days old to a white family and I'm native American .

My birth mom never told anyone she was pregnant with me and gave birth with me without anyone knowing. I'm one of the oldest in five kids which are all enrolled in the yurok tribe but because my father who is enrolled in the tribe along with all my brothers and sisters. But since I was adopted and my father had no idea he never signed my birth certificate. My father is the one that us full blood native american and because I am more then half yurok and I have a ten year old daughter that would be more then a quarter I need help proving I'm native so I can enroll me and my daughter in the tribe.I want my daughter to get all the benifits of my tribe along with me. Is there anyway to prove this and vet enrolled in my tribe with a DNA test or something so me and mY daughter can get the benefits from the tribe we deserve.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: You will need a DNA tests of yourself and father, birth certificates, and your father's CDIB card to help get this started. You have to work this thru your tribe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.