White Hall, AR asked in Divorce for Arkansas

Q: Can a spouse of an active military personal receive health benefits if they get a divorce before the expir. of 20 yrs

I am going through a divorce I have been married 18 years and my soon to be x wife is trying to make me continue covering her on my tricare insurance? Do I have to legally do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan K. McBride
Stefan K. McBride
  • Hope, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The benefits she will receive depends on how many years you have been married, how many years you were in the military, and how many of those years overlapped. It is a fact-specific question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.