Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas on
Q: There's not a cohabitation clause in my divorce/ custody order. Everything is final now. But could I get in trouble?

My ex said that that that if my fiance moves in and spends the night while I have my kids, he is going to press contempt of court charges on me. But there is nothing in our divorce or custody papers saying my fiancee can't live here or spend the night while my kids are here.

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jun 2, 2020

If it is not addressed in the divorce or custody document you wouldn't be in contempt (it is frequently included, so make SURE that is the case). However, he can ask the court for a modification to restrict cohabitation.

I would expect that to be successful. Conservative state,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Can spouse open a child support case against the other spouse, while married in the state of Arkansas?

I was looking over my child support payments, no balance. And I always wondered if it is possible to open a child support case while married. My ex-wife opened this case in 2009 but we were divorced in 2010, so I always wondered how was that even possible to open a case while married.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 25, 2020

If she was drawing support from the state they can bring an action.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: My ex wife and I remarried a yr after our divorce. She had full custody rights. Is that still in place or voided, null?
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 24, 2020

The issue of custody is always open for review. The issue is always what is in the best interest of the child.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: What if I want to file divorce but my husband wont move out of our home in Arkansas?

We have two children and I will be keeping the home. I can't uproot the children and cause them more trauma to get our 30 day separation but my husband isn't taking me seriously when I tell him to move out. His family doesn't want to get involved, but I can't get him to move out of the house.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 21, 2020

You do not have to live separate and apart ,in the literal sense , to file for divorce but separate and apart as not being husband and wife ie no sex ,separate bedrooms etc etc. The real issue is, are you safe?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I married a man in 2009, we separated 4 months later he wouldn't sign a divorce & he is now remarried. What can I do?

We separated after he hit my son, I have asked multiple times to please sign but he wouldn't. I have children from a previous relationship. We have no assets, children nothing! I don't know where he currently lives & have no idea how to go about getting a divorce. Please help me.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 8, 2020

If he remarried without divorcing you then he is a polygamist which is criminal offense. You can go to the prosecuting attorney and have him charged.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I recently have gotten a divorce and my ex is not complying with the divorce papers what can I do
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 3, 2020

You will to file a Motion for Contempt in the divorce court where the Decree was entered.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Can my husband legally sell or give my property away while the divorce is pending?
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 3, 2020

No. You should talk to your lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I am in the middle of my divorce, husband says he has no 401k, how do you successfully check for assets?
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on May 3, 2020

Hire an attorney. Discovery will force admission or denial, and production or withholding of 401K documents. Compare that to what responses from his employers . There is no "check for all assets" database, but discovery will help. You may need to hire an accountant.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: In my divorce can I ensure my son is not removed from his very good school and environment?

My wife and I are getting a divorce and she has eluded to taking our son out of state to be near her family. However we moved him to Arkansas, where my family lives. We made this move because his education plan needs were not being met. The reason for this move to Arkansas has been well documented.... Read more »

Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas answered on Mar 14, 2020

Your situation requires careful planning and a working knowledge of Arkansas custody and visitation law. When it comes to moving a child out of state, Arkansas law has certain presumptions about the benefits to the child of moving away, and which parent carries the burden of proving that such a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can my soon to be ex-wife get a hold put on my taxes if I filed first and did everything the right way

I repeatedly asked her to file taxes with me she refused I want to head and filed them on my own as head of household so will start with a text and order Belcourt so that’s a legal separation document and I lived in the house 11 months out of 12 so I filed all three daughters bars and now I’ve... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 21, 2020

When two people file and take the same dependents the IRS will place a hold on both accounts while they investigate and determine who had the right to take the dependents. If this is what happened then you should hear from the IRS. If she is the one telling you that there is a hold on your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: I am going through a divorce. MY spouse and I have had 3 sexual encounters but he tells me not to tell anyone, why?/

We have no "video" proof, but some texts where we have met or driving to meet eachother, texts as well saying he cant stop thinking of me since he saw me the night before...

Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Dec 12, 2019

One of the requirements for divorce is that you are separated from your spouse. Generally that means that you are no longer having a sexual relationship. If you all are still having sex, it could prevent you and your spouse from obtaining a divorce. Hope this helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Arkansas on
Q: My husband and i havent lived together in two months. Can we start seeing other people legally?

We have two kids together.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on Aug 19, 2019

Your question is more of a moral instead of legal one. According to Arkansas law if you are still married you would be committing adultery which is grounds for divorce.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can I file an emergency custody order while being married? He resides in Tennessee and my daughter and I reside inArkan

We have split time with her for the summer there isn't any legal agreement or divorce proceedings filed. School is about to start as I will have her during the week per verbal agreement. I received Medicaid and arkids for my daughter and I are the state is now requiring I file for child... Read more »

Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Aug 13, 2019

It sounds like you need to get divorced and get a custody/support order in place.

There are some potential issues with jurisdiction because she spends what looks like equal time in both states, but regardless, this is an issue you probably need to get in front of an attorney to figure out...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: How long will a Divorce Settlement Agreement take to become a finalized decree of divorce once both parties signed?

My spouse had filed for an uncontested divorce in which I later contested and made a counterclaim for. In the beginning of this process, neither of us had an attorney and were representing ourselves. In court after my spouse made his argument (which wasn’t well prepared), the judge then told him... Read more »

Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Jul 30, 2019

The judge cannot enter a decree of divorce until at least 30 days after the original complaint is filed, even when it is an uncontested divorce. It sounds like that amount of time has definitely passed.

You shouldn't have to return to court if the attorney is preparing some...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I live in Arkansas and my ex lives in Australia, how do i file for a divorce?

When she came here on a visitation visa we got married but we fell apart and she went back home, ever since then her and i had broke up and now i want a divorce. she told me i had to file it since i want one, so i am in need of help trying to do so.

Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee answered on Jul 29, 2019

You can still file for divorce as long as you have lived in the state for a certain period of time. You should probably consult with an attorney who can determine how to proceed based on the facts of your particular case.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: If my husband and I get divorced after at least ten years of marriage, am I entitled to 1/2 his retirement?

We both have been married before

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Jul 8, 2019

Depending on the facts of the case you may be entitled to a portion of his retirement benefits. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of the case in detail and provide you with proper direction. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Can I answer a divorce papers myself on a simple divorce?

Case is in Arkansas it is a nocostested divorce no children

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jul 7, 2019

Yes. You have 30 days. This is often done incorrectly. Find an attorney that will do an uncontested divorce for a low rate.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Are there any Pro Bono Lawyers in Lonoke County or, any that will take a Divorce case based on contingency ?
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Feb 11, 2019

Can't do a contingency fee in Arkansas divorces. It will be difficult securing a pro bono divorce. If the parties agree to an uncontested divorce, you may find a reasonable, fixed-fee option.

Arkansas Rule 1.5(d) (d) A lawyer shall not enter into an arrangement for, charge, or collect:...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: he wants a divorce it's under the active ACA 9-1 2-3 0-1 V I can I di dispute
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes answered on Jan 18, 2019

Yes. You can always dispute alleged grounds for divorce. The party that asserts grounds for and seeks a divorce or other relief bears the burden of proof. However, you must timely answer, in writing, denying that grounds or a particular ground exists or you may waive your right to contest the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Arkansas on
Q: A judge court ordered the visitation, but my ex is not letting me see my kids on my weekend. Is this contempt?

How do I proceed to take action? I do owe back pay due to incarceration, we court ordered every other weekend to have kids. She had em weekend before so it’s my weekend. She stating just cause she didn’t receive child support payment that I’m not getting kids on my weekend?

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jan 6, 2019

She is violating the visitation order.

Visitation and child support are separate. That is, she had no right to stop visitation because you aren’t paying. Only the judge can modify the visitation.

She needs to go through the court/OCSE to address child support, not keep you...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.