Scarsdale, NY asked in Wrongful Death for New York

Q: Can I contest their claim at this point

Good day police killed my brother 2 years ago n planted weapons on him, now they have sent bk documents stating there aren't enough evidence to take to circuit court so they are just getting away with murder. What can I do at this point? Please need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Generally there's a three year statute for tort cases but wrongful death cases are two years. You want to call up the NY Civil Liberties Union, ask if they have "cooperating attorneys" who handle police misconduct cases, and talk to one of those lawyers (they usually give free consults). If it's not yet 2 years then you may beable to make a claim. Over two years, you need to see what the situation is for a Civil Rights claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.