Arlington, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: My husband was arrested in August and they classed it as a 2nd dwi misdemeanor. The judge released him on a pr bond

The next day due to not enough evidence. Now he has an appearance on March 23 and they have it as a 3rd or more dwi third degree felony. His last 2 dwi a were in 03 and 04. He has served a 2 yr and an 8 yr prison sentence for assault charges. Can they revoke the or bond? He went ant got a blow device on car and quit drinking married me and is working a great job and we have 5 daughters that need him. Is there anyway he could get off on probation? We're in Collin County in TX

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Summersett
Anna Summersett
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your husband is currently on a PR bond then he will have to appear in court to answer for his charges. If he has two or more prior DWI convictions, then a subsequent DWI arrest should be filed as a DWI - Third or More. This is a Third Degree Felony. If he has previously been to the pen once, even on two charges, then the State can increase this punishment range to a Second Degree Felony. If he has been to the pen twice, on two separate cases, then the State can increase this punishment range to a Habitual Offender; 25 years to Life. However, as scary as the punishment range may be, it doesn't make the facts of this particular case stronger. If the facts are weak, you will need a DWI expert to fight for your husband's case. You can learn more about what the State has to prove in DWI cases by reading this article: Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.