Colorado Springs, CO asked in Civil Litigation, Gov & Administrative Law and Military Law for Colorado

Q: 100% blind disabled veteran seek relief fm incorrect $151k collection from DFAS derived from 5 yrs alleged overpmts

I realize timing is everything. I know I retired during a bad time for the Federal govt & the veterans retirement system, that is, between 2008 & 2015, when there was not a Streamlined, one-stop process for honorable & medically retired personnel.

(BTW, I got my VA medical and disability)

It took the Govt more than 3 yrs to medically evaluated & retire me.(2009-2012)

I was medically retired in 2012 @ 70% of my active duty pay $2300, & was told that the VA would take up the rest of whatever else I needed. Then Last fall, DFAS sent me a letter stating I owed them $118,000 overpay, which after ,my administrative "Paper" appeal, in which they've the latitude of forgiving this debt, legitimate or otherwise, or settle on some figure in-between. After over six months I just got a letter stating DFAS determined I owe them $151,000, with no explanation, what the source of those charges. Over 30 yrs with a higher than TS clearance I feel as Im being handled by automatons.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Yikes! Due to the sums involved, it is highly recommended that you contact an attorney that specializes in military law and/or military disability claims. Since the VA and DoD are not known for their transparency or efficiency, I suspect that something can be done legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.