Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: How do I get my parenting plan enforced, since local law enforcement won't help?

My grandmother has been refusing to let my children be taken from her custody under threat of dhs involvement, since June 2020. The judge in both cases acknowledged my custody order but doesn't know why its not being enforced. HELP

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jan 16, 2021

If you have a custody order, you can enforce it in court. You would file a motion to enforce.

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: I legally purchased a dog from an animal shelter a year ago. The previous owner somehow got my personal information fro

from the animal shelter, name, phone, address, etc., and has called me wanting the dog back. I clearly said no. He claims his ex wife gave the dog away to the shelter and he didn’t find out until 4 months later. He has since sued me and the animal shelter for custody of the dog. The dog is... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jan 2, 2021

You will definitely need to defend yourself in the Court action and prove ownership. WRT your safety I recommend considering a Protective Order. You should contact an attorney to discuss this matter in more detail so that the specific facts of our case can be reviewed and you can receive detailed... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: My nieghbor filed a District civil summons on me to cut my tree down that's in my yard. What can I do about it?

She wants the tree cut because she is scared to sleep in her bedroom because she says my tree will fall on her bedroom. She has aggervated health issues from this tree, and she cant enjoy her yard because of this tree and she has increased anxiety and stress over this tree.

My tree is not... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Dec 22, 2020

Your neighbor is a nightmare and she is now suing you! You definitely need to engage an attorney to defend you and your property in the lawsuit and potentially assert counterclaims against her.

Contact an attorney who has litigation experience. Most will offer a free initial...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on
Q: If you are renting from a landlord, and they have a "no guns" clause in their lease contract. What are some punishments?

I would love to know if their is a law against having a gun in an apartment complex that is private and has a no gun clause in the lease agreement. Are there any defense for having/using a gun (maybe not even firing it, but just drawing it to protect yourself/property/others in trouble). Would love... Read more »

Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 25, 2020

I am not aware of any state laws that prohibit weapons in private residential complexes. That said, I find it highly unlikely given that the 2nd Amendment is a federal constitutional right - subject obvious regulation. There are defenses to having/using a gun but the defenses are very... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: My daughter left her boyfriend and they shared a house in their name and a son. Does she need a court order for perso

Possessions? They can't agree on anything and he changed the locks. He's out for himself and not for his son.

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Oct 22, 2020

Since they are not married, she can do a custody case for issues regarding their son. She may need to do a partition action (lawsuit) to deal with the house. She can do a replevin (lawsuit) for her personal property. She should get a lawyer to help her with all this.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: A friend of mine was driving my car and hit a parked car and the accident cause my premium to increase

What are my options as far as getting reimbursed and what about my increase rate in the future

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 17, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter in most places, if you have comprehensive coverage, that could cover damage to your car. But even with that, there is usually a deductible that has to be paid out of pocket first. Being that your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: My elderly mostly father in-law insists on keeping a hand-gun on him at all times in spite of 2 Drs. say he should not

Am I liable if he shoots someone by accident? He is "mostly" blind. We have tried to take them away, but it is on his person. We took several away and had the long conversation about why it is a bad idea, but he insists he must have it for safety. My wife and I manage his care and will... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 12, 2020

A Colorado elder law attorney could probably answer your question better than a personal injury attorney. You could reach out to one and discuss your role in the person's life. In addition to your liability which you ask about, you could discuss other serious issues here. If he is "mostly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Foreclosure for Colorado on
Q: My COA/HOA roof assessment of $5,163 was paid-in-full. They have violated the contract

Diversified Management and the COA (Colorado Speings), in abuse of power and selective enforcement held my final payment of $2,563 in cashiers check for nearly a year, returned it for "reissue", then immediately turned my paid in full account over to Orten Cavanagh collection. This firm... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Sep 3, 2020

You'll need to provide proof of the payment to the court, you can ask for attorney fees when you win. I recommend that you contact an attorney that represents homeowners against HOAs to discuss your rights, remedies, and risks in this matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Q: How do i remove a felony charge that i shouldn't have been charged with according to the definition of the law used?

in 2002 i was charged in colorado for possession/knowledge of possession of explosives/incendiary device, but the definition section of that law discredits the materials my roommate had (materials used to reload ammunition, and or black powder muskets) my public defenders failed me and mislead me... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 25, 2020

You may qualify to have your Criminal Record Sealed. See the below link for more info:

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation and Collections for Colorado on
Q: How can I find information on the end of the legal bankruptcy battle between Aurora Loan Services v Lehman Brothers

More specifically the disposition of the claimants involved and possible settlement information.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 16, 2020

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Colorado on
Q: I was arrested on charges of harrasment and disorderly conduct based off of witness statements.

I feel there was no reasonable cause for an arrest to be made. The statements were false and I did not bother anyone in the building. The charges were dissmised in the interest of Justice. I am wondering if I have a potential case to sue for damages, economic losses, and non economic losses?

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jul 14, 2020

Potentially yes. These cases can be difficult. So you should consult with an attorney to discuss the facts, the law, your rights, remedies, potential outcomes, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Law and White Collar Crime for Colorado on
Q: What should be my steps to address a manager (family member) who there is evidence of embezzling, money laundering, the

The illegal activities have been going on for four+ years. Additional problems include missing records and failure to return key business information such as passwords and financial information. IRS, state/local sales tax and lodging taxes have gone unpaid. What are steps (and with whom) regarding... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Jun 17, 2020

If you want to get your money back, I recommend that you contact a local attorney to review your facts and damages. Then you can have a detailed discussion about your rights, remedies, risks, strengths and weaknesses of your case, the law, timeline, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: This question is in regards to the Supreme Court Case "National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra."

The way Justice Thomas phrased his opinion is that the petitioners in the case were "likely to succeed on the merits of their claim that the FACT Act violates the First Amendment." What does it mean that the petitioners were "likely to succeed?" Did the petitioners succeed in... Read more »

James Avery
James Avery answered on May 23, 2020

Petitioners in licensed clinic won. The District Court denied their motion for a preliminary injunction, and the Ninth Circuit affirmed. Holding that petitioners could not show a likelihood of success on the merits, the trial court concluded that the licensed notice survived a lower level of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: Can Park County close all short term Rentals (530)? Could this be unconstitutional or considered “regulatory Taking”.
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle answered on May 14, 2020

It depends. If this is related to a worldwide pandemic, in which the county is exercising its Constitutional power to protect the public health, the answer is likely yes to your first question. The Colorado Supreme Court has not weighed in directly on the constitutionality of the various public... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Law, Family Law and Business Law for Colorado on
Q: I own a business and employ my husband. His ex is demanding my business records as disclosures. What are my rights.

All business accounts are in my name only. I have a contract showing I purchased the business, not my husband. It is a medical practice. Some of what they are asking for are HIPAA protected. I would not give this information to my husband. The ex-wife filed a motion stating she wants it because she... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on May 13, 2020

Until his ex actually produces a subpoena or some other formal discovery request you don't have to provide anything. Once a formal request is made you would respond under the rules associated with that request. Just explain all the different reasons why the documents are not applicable,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: I co-signed a two party insurance payment, approx $6,000 to a vendor for claim repair.

The vendor I chose has an Eviction notice on the door of his of operation. I spoke with him and he says he's looking for another location to service RV repairs. I'm not comfortable continuing to do business with this vendor. The Hartford Insurance Company seems to be avoiding my concern... Read more »

Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle answered on May 11, 2020

You probably want to talk to an attorney about this. To fully answer the question, the attorney would need more information. For instance, the attorney will need: any contracts signed with the business, releases or other things you've signed, background on why the Hartford is involved and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: Is the delivery company responsible for damage to my driveway?

We had a delivery driver pull into our driveway during light snowfall to deliver our weekly food kit, at which time he damaged our pave stone driveway. My husband contacted the company within the hour to complain and they informed him that they contract out their shipments and we would have to work... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Apr 5, 2020

If the company damaged your property through the negligence of it's driver and you can prove it then you have a strong case and can compel the company to pay. However, it seems that your damages are $1,500 or less as such it is not likely cost effective to retain an attorney help and it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: Looking for advice on a civil case

I'm the plaintiff in a civil case, yesterday was our first day in court. The defendant had not filed a response, the judge told her she had to file yesterday and give me a copy yesterday. I did not receive it. What can I do now?

James Avery
James Avery answered on Apr 2, 2020

File a Notice of Default.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: can a person reduce or rescind a monetary offer made via a letter written by their lawyer?

a letter was drawn up but not given to me for a monetary offer. The person has decided to lower their offer. I have seen said letter

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Mar 17, 2020

The offeror can change or rescind his offer until that offer is accepted and becomes an agreement.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Colorado on
Q: I need to know what to do about being scammed by a business online? The company has stolen over $22,600 from me

They talked me into selling my timeshare as they had a buyer already for it. I had to send a fee (I never should have done this I know!) of $6,000, then I sent money 2 more times for a total of $22,628 to a title closer at Colorado Title. This is a legitimate business and they stole all of my money... Read more »

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Mar 2, 2020

I've had run-ins with this same company. I found that it is not a legitimate company and doesn't even exist other than virtually. Please shoot me an email or give me a call if you'd like more information. I'm teaching much of the day today, but will get back to you as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.