Price, UT asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: I have a traffic violation for speeding 82 in a 60 mph area. I'm below the age of 21.

I've been pulled over and given a warning 3 years ago for speeding, but other than that I haven't had an incident. I just need to know how I get my points reduced, if I can avoid getting my license suspended, and if I need to hire legal help. I'm a college student, so I don't really have the money.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matt A Munson
Matt A Munson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cedar City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It is not likely that the prosecutor will dismiss this case outright. However, if you have a clean driving record, that will likely help your cause. My recommendation would be to approach the prosecutor and see if they would be amenable to allowing you to plead No Contest to Speeding (79mph in 60mph zone). There is a difference in the fine amount you will be required to pay, and many insurance companies will drastically increase your insurance premiums if you are cited for 20+ MPH over the speed limit. Good luck--hope this is helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.