New Bedford, MA asked in DUI / DWI for Massachusetts

Q: Was arrested for dui in Maine in 2004.I moved to MA.Received bench warrant for failure.Would like to apply for MA. lic.

I actually did go back to Maine only to have the case postponed. Hired ME. lawyer after that. Lawyer got me an extension. Lawyer filed for a second and had it refused resulting in a bench warrant. I'm still MA. resident and haven't driven for 13yrs. Would like to apply for MA. license so that I may become a contributing member of society again. I am unable to return to ME. due to lack of expense and willingness of anyone to drive me the 5hrs. there and back. Is this case something that a lawyer can handle over the phone? Is this case even still valid? I know this needs to be addressed before I try to apply for license because of bench warrant. I just want to put this all behind me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • Oakland, CA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You may need to have the Maine case completed and dismissed before MA provides you a license. See:

More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.