Claremont, NH asked in Criminal Law for New Hampshire

Q: What are the possible consequences for my minor daughter for violating a restraining order in NH?

My 17 year old daughter had a stalking petition filed against her by another student following a boyfriend/ girlfriend break-up disaster. The stalking petition was dismissed in court, but before we were able to get in front of a judge, my daughter violated the restraining order by passing the other student in the hallway on the way to class. We were served court papers last night to answer to the violation charges because they were filed prior to the petition being dismissed. What are the possible consequences if found guilty? We are freaking out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph D Garrison
Joseph D Garrison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franconia, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: It depends on the level of the charge. If she was charged with a Class A Misdemeanor, then she could go to jail. This is highly unlikely based on the facts you describe. Your daughter should consult with a criminal defense attorney asap if she hasn't already.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.