Baltimore, MD asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Maryland

Q: heard after 3years I dont have to worry about my credit card debt. Heard just don't pay. What is best?

Have at least 3 credit cards I owe on. I had to quit paying on 2 of them about 2 years ago because of some financial strain. I have continued to pay on one and am finally down to owing $400 and some change. One of the other is 10 thousand something and the other I believe is $2thousand or less. I was going to start paying on the $2 thousand dollar one next. The $10thousand one has sent me letters from collections to pay like a 3rd of what I owe but the tax burden I would have to suddenly owe would be hard.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nels Hansen
Nels Hansen
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Round Rock, TX

A: You should contact a local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation before you make any payments on the two older debts. If the statute of limitations has run you will be in a stronger position to negotiate a settlement. If the statute of limitations has not run making a payment may alert the creditor to the deadline. Depending on the circumstances if you settle a debt for less than you owe the amount forgiven will have to counted as income. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.