Woodstock, GA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: What steps are required to transfer everything into mine and sister's names if mother recently passed w/o a will?

Must the lawyer have copies of checking/saving account info, etc. to complete this process? Can you give an approximate cost to complete the process? I have been told a wide variety of costs and am quite confused about this whole process.

1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hi,

If your mother passed without a will, and if she left estate in Puerto Rico, you will need to initiate a process of Declaration of Heirs. For this process you will need to file a Petition in the court with jurisdiction, present evidence of the Death Certificate, if she was married a Marriage Certificate and birth Certificate of all the heirs. After you receive the Resolution from the Court you will need to file some documents in the Department of Treasury and as after a few procedures you will be able to make final step of transferring the properties to the heirs.

Unfortunately we don't give cost via Justia.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.