Asked in Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: If custodial parent moves out of state with child and abuses her can i get custody? I have not seen child in six monah

I have not had contact with my ex husband in more than 6 months as he refused to get back to me about arranging a date to visit her. I had problems in the past with not having a stable environment for her to live in. According to our parenting plan he was not to move farther away without asking me or the courts and he moved from new hampshire to maine. He is the custodial parent and has been removed from the caregiver role due to abuse sustained in his custody. He has not filed for abandonment of the child on my part due to not being around. Do i have rights as her parent? Can i fill out paperwork to have her sent to my home even though there is a pending case in maine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph D Garrison
Joseph D Garrison
  • Franconia, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You can file in NH but you should also consult with an attorney licensed in Maine asap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.