East Orange, NJ asked in Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Why do you have to wait 3yrs to close a case if ur fine is paid

For example i had a charge 12-2014 got a fine put on payment plan couldnt pay it all no work then had emergency surgery pd fine in full 3-2017 now yold cant exsponge record for 3 yrs y

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Seidman
Jason Seidman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Toms River, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Generally, you must wait for the payment of fines. There does exist a possible exception when it comes to good faith attempts to pay versus just not paying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.