Moody, AL asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Georgia

Q: What's other remedy are available for a criminal defendants immediately after direct appeals, is there time limit

What's the next line of action if a direct appeal is denied and is motion for reconsideration and remodification/ reducetion of sentence possible after direct appeals is denied

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If at the Court of Appeals, 10 days to file notice of seeking certiorari to the Georgia Supreme Court.

Possible other path to federal court, but too complicated and rare to discuss, and is limited to some special, federal issues.

As far as altering a sentence after remittitur to the trial court, good luck. Not been something I have ever had happen.

William C. Head

Atlanta, GA

Robert Donald Gifford II agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.