Q: If a restraining order is placed on me by my GF and I have to leave our house am I entitled to my clothes in the house

She moved out in February but I was just served with the warrent yesterday for domestic abuse I was arrested then got out today and the cops said I can't get my clothes out of my house and made me leave I don't want the house I'm surrendering the loan to the bank tomorrow but I just want my clothes how do I get them

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: You leave out important facts, like what the PFA warrant accuses you of having done. Appear in court on the date and time stated on the warrant. You have to do this regardless of what you "just want". If you don't appear you will be arrested again and will probably not be allowed to make bail until your case is heard in court. You would be well-advised to hire a lawyer to appear with you and help you present your side of the case. Otherwise you may go to jail. Tell the judge your side of the story and what you want. You may or may not be sentenced to jail, depending on what the judge decides you did or didn't do after hearing from both sides. If you are not sentenced to jail the judge will in all probability give you a date and time when you can get your clothes in the presence of an officer without confronting your ex-girlfriend. The warrant orders you to have no contact with your ex-girlfriend. This means you can't even call her. If you violate this prohibition you will be subject to being rearrested and held in jail without bond until the case is decided in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.