Q: Is it possible to get a patent on an anti-gravity propulsion device without the United States government taking it away?

I was told by a patent lawyer that the US government would not permit such a patent to be in public view. This of course is discouraging. Is it true?

The inventor of this propulsion device would like to license various corporations and in various countries around the world with this new technology. Perhaps it would be best to bypass the United States patent process and enter the process from other countries. The inventor does not want any secret or exclusive license/sale agreements with any countries or military establishments. The inventor believes that private business and free trade should not be constrained by the United States Department of Defense or any other Department of Insecurity that would wish to acquire advanced technology for its exclusive benefit.

Is there a work around?

1 Lawyer Answer
J.D. Houvener
J.D. Houvener
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Mountlake Terrace, WA

A: Yes it is possible! The government (I believe it is the DoD) would screen the application (as they do all applications) for any technology that could threaten security/safety of the public. Given your brief description, it doesn't seem to fall into that category. That said, even if there were a restriction on filing, it by no means would prevent you from getting a patent on it...and likely profiting from its sale/license to the government! Cheers!

J.D. Houvener

Founder, Bold IP


Free 30-Min Consultation: www.calendly.com/bold-ip

Glenn B. Manishin agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.