Framingham, MA asked in Family Law for New Hampshire

Q: A Temporary Divorce Decree was Issued, Can I cancel Joint Credit Cards?

I was issued a Temporary Divorce Decree which makes my soon-to-be ex-spouse and I responsible for our own finance and credit cards. However, the ex-spouse is spending on Joint Credit Cards, can they be canceled?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theresa Spearing
Theresa Spearing
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Credit card companies are not bound by the terms of your temporary order assigning debt to your soon-to-be-ex-spouse. Since you are ordered responsible for your own finance and credit cards you should obtain a detailed record of what your soon-to-be-ex-spouse is charging and file a motion with the court to obtain permission to cancel the joint credit cards and delineate in your motion the debt that has been incurred since the Temporary Decree was issued. If your soon-to-be-ex-spouse fails to follow that order, you can file a contempt and usually be entitled to reimbursement or damages if you end up having to pay the debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.