Salt Lake City, UT asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Utah

Q: Nuisance lawsuit against neighbor

I live in a HOA community. A neighbor has adult children who break in to cars and homes and steal packages off door steps. Cops have been called numerous times and arrest have been made but it seems the laws are weak in this area. The neighbor does not own the property her mom does and the mom of the adult children cover for them every single time the cops are called. The HOA has levied fines but that does not deter them.

What options do I have civilly if any and what kind of attorney do I need to discuss this matter further? To be clear this guys have not stole or broke into anything of mine yet but it just seems like a matter of time. My goal would to get them out of the neighborhood some how.

1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Really you would need to look at the HOA. If there was something that they were violating in the HOA, then you could require the owner to find a new tenant, but you can't just make someone move because they are criminals.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.