Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Utah on
Q: Can Walmart refuse me for not wearing a face mask for religious or medical reasons

In utah

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 2, 2020

A Utah attorney could answer best, as elements of state public health law and state executive orders could apply. But your question remains open for two weeks. As a general matter, they probably could because of the public safety issue - unless a doctor's note excuses usage on a medically... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Utah on
Q: I need a lawyer criminal divorce and 2civil case, I'm disabled and need one that will work with me on the fees

St. George ut.

William Melton
William Melton answered on Jun 10, 2020

Send me an email and I would be happy to talk to you about your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Utah on
Q: Can I file a Motion to Correct Clerical Mistake because of an error made by court clerk?

I am a pro se litigant and I recently filed a Complaint. However, the Clerk designated my case as a contract case, when in fact it’s a personal injury case. I’ve tried calling and talking to the clerk, but she’s firm in her belief and claimed to read my complaint. If she did so, she would see... Read more »

Tyler Young
Tyler Young answered on May 26, 2020

The designation by the court of the type of case you filed is not critical. It's my understanding that the court does that for administrative purposes. What is critical is that you Complaint correctly pleads your case. If you believe you have a personal injury case, but you've somehow... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Utah on
Q: I am seeking a lawyer or law firm who is unafraid to sue another lawyer in Utah. How do I find such an attorney?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 23, 2020

You could search in the Legal Malpractice section here on this site, you could conduct your own independent searches, or you could look through the Utah State Bar's resources. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Personal Injury for Utah on
Q: wrongful eviction with a plan that involves roomate and neihbors

my landlord evicted myself and my boyfriend said he had no choice. the neighbor tried to get us to swap her daughter apartments but we said no, my boyfriends roomate made the choice to talk to the neighbors and the landlord and they all agreed that me and my boyfriend should be evicted, and then... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 3, 2020

If your eviction is still pending, a landlord-tenant attorney could advise in the best manner - or given the difficult situation, you may have already decided to start looking into other places at this point. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Utah on
Q: filed quit claim deeds a few years ago on the home I live in and my three investment properties but lacked

What do I need to do to get those voidable contracts voided or what's the next step to repairing the war zone that has become my life because I'm now homeless and I've lost a lot everything my life's work forgive the errors and no punctuation I'm talking into my phone

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Nov 11, 2019

Not a lot of facts to go off of here, except that you are saying that you signed and recorded some quit claim deeds a few years ago while you lacked capacity and now you want to void the deed.

If you were under duress or undue influence by the person to whom you signed them over to, you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Utah on
Q: Is it possible for a company to buy half a house if im just on the deed. And the homeowner has not signed on his end?.

If it is possible does that company have the right to kick me out of the home?

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Dec 12, 2018

As long as you are on the deed, they are unable to kick you out. You are an owner. House ownership can be split among persons and sold separately from each other. Each owner will have an undivided right of use and enjoyment of the property ( you can's draw a line in the middle of the house... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Utah on
Q: Can Realestate, in this case a condo be listed for sale while under litigation between a HOA and a builder?
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Aug 17, 2018

The short answer is yes. You can list anything that you own for sale. If you are going to give out seller disclosures, you will need to disclose the fact that there is pending litigation.

From this question, I am not even sure if you are the owner of the property. The answer is, an owner...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Utah on
Q: Can an Officer add additional charges after you’ve signed the original citation?

I was issued a citation for an “ilegal turn” on December 6. After the Officer arrived back at the station, he added “driving while license suspended” to my citation. I had NO idea that my license was suspended. Is this legal? Even after I signed the original citation, and wasn’t notified... Read more »

Catherine Cleveland
Catherine Cleveland answered on Jan 11, 2018

Yes, the prosecutor can amend the charging document at any time.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Utah on
Q: 1. Can HOA litigate member with non valid status of non profit corporation?2. Can HOA adopt not valid declaration
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Jun 8, 2017

Your question is hard to understand. I will try the best I can to answer:

Yes an HOA can bring suit against an HOA member even if that member is a non-profit organization whose status is inactive/expired. This issue revolves around what agents of this non-valid, non-profit did to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Utah on
Q: Nuisance lawsuit against neighbor

I live in a HOA community. A neighbor has adult children who break in to cars and homes and steal packages off door steps. Cops have been called numerous times and arrest have been made but it seems the laws are weak in this area. The neighbor does not own the property her mom does and the mom of... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on May 9, 2017

Really you would need to look at the HOA. If there was something that they were violating in the HOA, then you could require the owner to find a new tenant, but you can't just make someone move because they are criminals.


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Utah on
Q: If im sued,i have no assets,can they attach my husband's assets?
Zaven Andranik Sargsian
Zaven Andranik Sargsian answered on Dec 12, 2013

It would depend on several factors. For example, how the asset is held (is it in your name solely or jointly in both of your names)? There may also be issues related to the UFTA (Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act). This Act attempts to prevent individuals from shifting their assets to others to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.