Huntsville, AL asked in Wrongful Death for Alabama

Q: What reports are filed by the coroner and police when they respond to a death in a home?

My mother committed suicide in her home a year and a half ago. She struggled with bipolar disorder for years but her illness had become increasingly severe during the year leading up to her death. This was triggered by my father 'leaving her' although he remained involved in her life until the very end. Due to his actions before and after her death, I firmly believe that he intentionally contributed to her decision to take her own life by overdosing on his insulin. All of my siblings and I were on the other side of the country when she died so my father was the only person to interact with the police and coroner. There was no autopsy and her death was ruled as natural despite the suicide note and insulin that my father supposedly didn't move. I'm having a hard time getting past my suspicions of my father and his involvement. What documents could I access regarding the police and coroner's conclusions? Would they have had to file reports other than a death certificate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You will not in most cases find anything useful one way or the other. They look at the liklihood it was or wasn't caused by intent. They felt it didn't but won't have gone through a lot of paper hoops that will get you anywhyere. Ask. See what you get. but you won't find anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.