Middletown, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: I got a speeding ticket for a 48 in 30 in December but I got a new car and the court date is in April, what should I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends on whether or not points on your license are more important to you than the cost of either paying the ticket, however with this route you may still get points, are hiring an attorney to handle it for you… For example, my firm has one gentleman who handles all the traffic ticket; furthermore, and our firm at least, the hourly rate for handling traffic tickets is only $180 per hour as opposed to $250 for associates and $325 to partners. Furthermore, my office like many other law practices in New York, offer a guarantee of no points are you not have to pay any legal fees ( other than a small disbursement for costs and expenses, such as parking etc.

Handling a traffic ticket case generally takes two hours in, so as an example at our firm you would be paying $360 in legal fees to avoid getting any points ... also, the actual penalty for the ticket I.e. the fine Will likely either be reduced, are the case will be dismissed and thus you will have to pay nothing other than attorneys fees. If you drive commercially in any manner, either a taxi cab, a bus or a truck, I strongly recommend you hiring a lawyer as points and severely affect your job… Regardless, your insurance will go up with points.

However, if points on your license are not a concern for you, I would recommend the following. Go online, plead not-guilty and request a hearing. In general and at least 50% of the time you will receive a response indicating that you can plead guilty to the traffic violation, accept the points but only pay a fraction of the ticket cost… That said, a cost-benefit analysis should still be performed as often even two points on your license will cause your insurance to go up significantly more annually then it would've cost to hire an attorney to kill the ticket.

If you would like to discuss this further with myself, or likely more beneficially The attorney who handles our traffic cases you may do so free of cost by calling 914-912-1555 or by making an appointment through our website AG3LAW.COM.

Please note that although phone consultations on these matters are free of charge, there is a small $20 fee for an in person consultation to cover costs and expenses.

I hope the information I have for budget is of benefit; I apologize for not being able to offer specific advice, however, I would need more details on the violation in order to fully analyze it and advise you as to you best course of action.

Regardless… I would be happy to speak to you about this free of charge, just call our office at the number above our schedule her appointment via the website.

Until then I remain,

Very truly yours,

Aubrey C. Galloway III, Esq

Colette Katz
Colette Katz
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should certainly answer the ticket. In NY, you can always adjourn your case if the date is inconvenient for you. It's a 4-point ticket, so hiring an attorney is your best bet in terms of winning the case. Depending on where the ticket was given, you may be able to plead the ticket down to a parking ticket or other minor violation. If it's the DMV, you cannot do that and must argue the ticket on the merits. Lawyer up!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.