Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

New York Traffic Tickets Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Can a police officer ticket me if he did not see me driving but was told by another officer that I was ?

Michael Arbeit answered on Jun 17, 2019

The officer that saw the alleged traffic infraction would have to sign a supporting deposition saying so. If there was a trial, the officer who witnessed the infraction would have to testify. If the government just brought in the cop that wrote the ticket, but did not observe the violation, his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Can I be ticketed for driving a uninsured and unregistered vehicle in a old navy parking lot in New York State ?

Police were siting and waiting for me to leave the parking lot for hours

Zev Goldstein answered on Jun 17, 2019

You are not allowed to drive a vehicle in a public store parking lot without a license, registration and insurance.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Gov & Administrative Law for New York on

Q: Having issue with speeding in my neighborhood. No sidewalks. Kids ride bikes in road and local residents speed past kid.

Wondering of rights as resident. Called town and being told keep kids out of road. Not addressing the law breaking of residents. Put slow down structure at foot of driveway. What else can I do to stop a child from being killed. What are the children's rights.

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 23, 2019

Petition the local city council or whatever form of government you have for placement of a speed limit sign etc. However kids should not be riding bikes on roadways unless they are fully competent, have helmets on etc. We lived on a road like that and that's one of the reasons we moved--no way... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: I have only a learners permit. Im from NY but I got a speeding ticket in kentuckywhile taking turns driving a rental car

What could happen and what do I need to do

Zev Goldstein answered on May 9, 2019

A speeding ticket in the state of Kentucky will not suspend your driver's license in NY, as long as you comply with Kentucky. (don't ignore the ticket)

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: got ticket going 55 in 35, and another going 75 in 55 a month later. court reduced 1st ticket to lower speed at 2 points

2nd ticket court date should be sometime in July/August. Do I take defensive driving course now or after 2nd ticket court date?

Zev Goldstein answered on May 8, 2019

You can take the course right after you get the ticket. The conviction date has nothing to do with it.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on




Zev Goldstein answered on May 3, 2019

If he is not able to get a NY driver's license, or insurance, we can get a copy of his driving record here:

This should show where the suspension is from. He can then follow up directly with the Court or agency.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: NYS 37530 - Driver View Obstructed. I dont know wether to plead guilty or not?

Zev Goldstein answered on Apr 23, 2019

This is a zero point violation. Unless the ticket was given in consequence of an accident, go ahead and plead guilty.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Driving without license and inspection tickets from 2 years ago. Never went to court. Will I get in trouble if I go now?

I sent in not guilty plea but never heard back. I remembered the tickets recently and want to pay for them. They suspended my permit. What kind of trouble will I get in.

Michael Arbeit answered on Apr 18, 2019

You should consult with an attorney in regard to this matter for proper representation. And, do NOT drive at all until this matter is resolved.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Traffic Tickets and Civil Litigation for New York on

Q: Taxi medallion broker refuses to cancel insurance on my car and I can't add insurance onto my car from second broker.

I was leasing a yellow taxi medallion from a broker. The car title is under my name and financed by Toyota. The insurance is under the name of the medallion owner. The medallion got repossessed by the bank. My car has been sitting for over 3 weeks and the broker has not put the medallion back on... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 15, 2019

This Justia site is a free online legal forum established to allow members of the public to ask general legal questions to experienced lawyers who volunteer their valuable time to do so. Your important small business question should be directed to your business lawyer. If you have not consulted or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: If at a turnlight, there are only two colors (green & yellow), can you make the turn when there is no light? (two black)

If you are a traffic light that is a turn signal light, and there are only two circles (green and yellow), then when there is no light (both circles are black), are you allowed to wait at that intersection for the turn? Also, does that mean you are allowed to turn at your own discretion?

Zev Goldstein answered on Mar 23, 2019

We both know that the third light is supposed to be red, but its broken. According to the NY vehicle and traffic law, you don't have to stop because the red light isn't visible HOWEVER if you drive into oncoming traffic, you will crash. So wait until the green light comes back.

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: I have received 2 Tickets for No inadequate lights (3752A1) and inadequate plate lamps (3752A4)

I got two tickets on same day and same time for No inadequate lights (3752A1) and inadequate plate lamps (3752A4) and i have fixed issue and have invoice. I have done NY state inspection and registered vechicle 2 weeks back. I have records of car service time to time. Court Date is Next month.... Read more »

Zev Goldstein answered on Mar 23, 2019

Please not guilty. The Court will mail a conference date letter to you. On the conference date show up with a copy of the receipts showing that your fixed the defects.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Ticket for 4-03A1, but there were no pedestrians. I failed to yield right of way for car on opposite side. Can I plea?

Zev Goldstein answered on Mar 18, 2019

You can plead 'not guilty' and either go to trial yourself, or hire an attorney to represent you at the trial. The likelihood of success depends on which borough of NYC it occurred in.

Feel free to reach out to us directly with any other questions.

Hayim Rose

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Is using (holding) an old satellite based Garmin navigator which has no internet or wireless connection a violation

Zev Goldstein answered on Mar 10, 2019

VTL 1225-d(2)(a) says:

""Portable electronic device" shall mean any hand-held mobile telephone, as defined by subdivision one of section twelve hundred twenty-five-c of this article, personal digital assistant (PDA), handheld device with mobile data access, laptop computer, pager, broadband...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: How can i fight a speeding ticket from the Moapa Band of Paiutes?

On 2/7/19 we visited the Valley of Fire. When exiting the park I was pulled over and issued a ticket from a Tribal Officer from the Moapa Band of Paiutes. The officer said he clocked me in 3 different speed zones, all while he was parked near the exit just before I-15. I was given a ticket for $365... Read more »

Zev Goldstein answered on Mar 5, 2019

If you want to fight this ticket, try re-posting this question in the state of Nevada. Most NY lawyers will not be able to advise you of Nevada law.

If you have a regular NY license, the points won't be added to your NY license if you are convicted of this ticket. If you ignore this ticket,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: ny registered vehicle operating in nj, ticketed for no front plate.

traveling 2pm afternoon sunny day no traffic infractions. I believe NJ cannot enforce NY registration statutes as I have been ticketed for expired safety inspection but showed the statute reflecting their enforcing of only NJ registered vehicles.

Zev Goldstein answered on Feb 21, 2019

Are you asking a question? What is your question?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: How long after going to county jail do you go to court? My boyfriend's been in there for 2 weeks with no bail

He was picked up for 3 warrants. Aggravated unlicensed operator, obstructed view, and possession of a controlled substance 7th and has no bail. His public defender will not call me back and he has had no luck trying to call him. His mother is in the hospital very sick and almost died and he is my... Read more »

Zev Goldstein answered on Feb 11, 2019

They need to release him within a week without bail if they don't do a probable cause hearing. The story sounds a bit extreme for a couple of non violent misdemeanors. Which Court are these charges filed in?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Motion To Dismiss All Vehicle Code Violations while incarcerated in New York State

I am attempting to help an inmate have all tickets/fines dismissed while he is incarcerated. He is incarcerated at Coxsackie Correctional Facility in New York State. Is there a specific form they can request to have their counselor help file? Is this even possible? I seen something for California... Read more »

Zev Goldstein answered on Feb 11, 2019

Are you an attorney licensed to practice law in the state of new york?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: Officer got vehicle color and year wrong on ticket despite a sunny day and perfect visibility. Can this be dropped?

Pulled over for speeding via L-Laser, officer incorrectly named the vehicle year as 2007 (it is a 2017, not easy to make that typo since the 1 and 0 keys are not near each other. He also said that I drive a gray car, when I very clearly drive a tan/brown car. Is this ground for dismissal?

Zev Goldstein answered on Feb 4, 2019

Unfortunately not. Moving violations are issued to the driver, not the vehicle. If they have your name and DOB or address, or client ID number accurately that is sufficient.

Feel free to email us directly with any questions or for a free consultation.


Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: I got exercise due care ticket in TN. What if I miss the court hearing date?

I live in NY state and they told me if I take defensive driving course, my ticket will be dissmiss. So, my question is if I send the receipt that shows I took the class, the court will accept it or not?

Zev Goldstein answered on Feb 3, 2019

You posted this question in NY, but then you write TN. Please make sure you are posting your question in the correct state.

2 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for New York on

Q: I have a speeding ticket since 1994 in Nassau county New York. My driver licenses was suspended in 2015.

I was overseas from 2007 to 2018. Never knew about that speeding ticket. My license expired since 2012. When I went to renew my driving license thats when I found out about the incident. In the system its say COURT APPEARANCE . Will I be arrested ?

Zev Goldstein answered on Jan 28, 2019

In New York the Courts don't arrest for traffic tickets which are aren't misdemeanors. They only suspend the driver's license. If you had a ticket for driving suspended, you could be be arrested for a short time.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.