Aurora, IL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Illinois

Q: My ex-fiancé didn't tell the officers he punched me but admitted to my sister he did. Can I use this in court?

My ex fiancé came home drunk and began verbally then physically assualted me. I asked him to leave and that we were over. He called 911 and told the police I assualted him but neglected to tell them the scratches on his face were from when he had me in a chokehold and then punched me. So I got arrested because the police said I had no physical evidence of injury even though my face was bruised the next day. He admitted to my sister in a phone call when she asked about my black eyes and chunks of hair pulled out that he did indeed hit me. Can I use my sister as a witness that I was the victim not him?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nrupa Patel
Nrupa Patel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Decatur, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: yes if your case goes to trial then she can testify and she should be subpoenaed. Your sister should also report this to the police

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.