Baltimore, MD asked in Collections and Divorce for Maryland

Q: Can my ex-wife collect a judgement that is more than 12 years old.

I live in Maryland. I was divorced in Virginia more than 12 years ago. My ex claims that I still owe her $30K from that judgement. I don't think so since I declared bankruptcy after that but just in case I need to ask this question. I understand that the statute of limitations on judgements in Maryland is 12 years. Does this mean that I no longer have to worry about her placing liens on my property in Maryland?

By the way, This is not related to alimony or child support (there was no alimony or child support).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Setting aside the bankruptcy issue, a judgment in Maryland is good for 12 years but can be renewed for additional 12 year terms. As far as the bankruptcy goes, whatever attorney handled the bankruptcy should be able to explain which debts have been discharged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.