Newport, OR asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Oregon

Q: Can you receive Workman's Comp based on mental health issues? Is my employer violating Oregon employment laws?

I'm a Property Manager. I'm officially "part-time" but haven't worked less than 40+ hours per week since I started over a year ago. My employer offers insurance benefits to full-time employees only. My employer requires me to live on site and pay $850 rent/no discount. I'm also on call 24/7 therefore can't travel, etc but do not get paid for that time. I'm having a dispute with my employer now as I have PTSD and have received physical threats from a former "Resident" and feel unsafe living here. I'm a Domestic Violence survivor as well. Do you think you could help me resolve this issue? I've been missing alot of work due to anxiety, etc. from my PTSD and think I will be fired soon. When you are fired by my employer you are immediately trespassed from the property and don't have time to pack up and get your belongings. I'm living in fear from minute to minute and wonder if you could advise me? Please and thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Try contacting a WC attorney about that part of your question. Note, attorneys cannot solicit your business, you have to contact them.

Meanwhile, unclear as to what sort of property manager you are, as in for apartments or say a self-storage place. If you are to apartments, review this:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.