Key Largo, FL asked in Employment Law for Florida

Q: I have been with the same company for nearly 10 years. I started out as a bedside nurse and have been promoted to

manager of a stepdown unit and even ran the unit for a year with minimal oversight. Anyhow we finally hired a new director and we did not start out on a very good foot. He was rude to me in the first few days but we have overcome that and it has been fine. Today I am called down to HR with them stating that there was a complaint made against me that I was heard making a homophobic comment, "Where is she?" This never happened but in my type of position you may have 1 or 2 nurses who are not fond of you. No I am suspended with no pay. I have a chronically ill child who is actually hospitalized as we speak. What do I do? I am a paycheck away from losing everything. The VP of HR was in the meeting as well as her assistant. I had met with the VP a couple of weeks earlier regarding the way I was being spoken to but the new director.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alberto Naranjo Jr.
Alberto Naranjo Jr.
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Sorry to hear about this situation, it seems pretty tough. Based on what you provided, its a pretty sticky situation that can't be resolved with a simple posting online but would really require you to invest sometime with an attorney trying to help you through this tough process that may or may not have a simple solution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.