Sarasota, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: I'm wanting to relocate, but wanting to know if I would be able to since i am divorced with a child.

Move from Sarasota to Tarpon Springs. We have a 80/20 custody arrangement as of right now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather  Bryan
Heather Bryan
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lakeland, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Per Florida statute you can move within 50 miles of the principal place of residence att he time of the last order establishing or modifying time-sharing, without permission of the court. You would still need to get the child to his or her school, per the parenting plan. If you wish to move outside of this 50 miles, then you would need to petition the court for relocation, unless you and your ex can agree to the relocation. An agreement to relocate must be written, define an access or time-sharing schedule for the non-relocating parent , and describe transportation arrangements. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.