Sacramento, CA asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Colorado

Q: can be forced to take my info off their site.

I was arrested in CO several years ago and case was completely dismissed/record sealed. A google search of my name turned up my info on this site. I sent in inquiry to the site asking for removal as I was never convicted or even tried (case was thrown out). they offered to remove for $300. I didn't take that bait. Recently read CO has laws against such behavior from sites like these. Wondering, I don't live in CO now, but as I did and the record is parading online is a CO record, am I able to legally compel them to take it down? If so, how should I go about beginning that process. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am not familiar with the law you are referring to (it may exist, I just may not have heard about it), but there is likely a jurisdictional problem with Colorado having power over you and potentially the website (as you noted). I cannot check the statute to see if Colorado can assert protection over a non-resident (i.e. you), but there is a possibility. If you want to pursue the matter, you will likely need to contact a lawyer. As an aside, you are correct to not pay the removal fee (this fee may itself be a criminal act because it looks an awful lot like extortion...).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.