Willimantic, CT asked in Estate Planning for Connecticut

Q: How could I find out who handled my mother's estate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Go to the local probate court in the town/district that your mom lived in as of the date of her death, or where she owned property as of the date of her death. If that was where the estate was probated you should find all of the court filings there and can determine who probated the estate. Has a child of a deceased individual, you would have been required to be put on notice of any filings for your mom's estate, meaning you would receive copies of the filings from the person handling the estate. If they could not locate you or had the wrong address that may be why you didn't receive anything. However, if your location was known and you received nothing, there is a chance no estate was opened.

Matthew A. Wiley agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.