Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Florida

Q: I want to sue the captain of a ship I was working on for an injury sustained on his vessel while located off the coast

of Florida. He's not American though. Does that matter?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Nicholas Lygnos
Michael Nicholas Lygnos
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Clearwater, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You do not provide enough facts for a definitive answer. If you are a foreign seaman working under a collective bargaining agreement on a foreign flag vessel with a mandatory arbitration remedy, then, the answer is no. If you are a seaman whose employment originated in a US port, and you were injured offshore, you possibly can sue the vessel. There are jurisdiction issues. The vessel could be owned by a soverign or government, which has special rules. There are many potential issues. Call a good maritime lawyer. Explain the facts. Tell the lawyer about the facts and your injuries.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.