Morton, PA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and International Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Any avenues to over-ride a father's refusal to allow his 13 year old to travel with mom out of country?

Mom has primary custody. Share legal guardianship. 3 months notice and full itinerary given.

Delaware County, PA

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: Yes. Get a lawyer, and file a petition with the court to modify custody to allow the trip because it is good for the child due to family connections, cultural expansion, religious reasons, or other benefits to the child. Be sure to read any prior custody agreements or orders first. Forget it if the country visited is near or will not restrict travel to a country that hasn't signed The Hague Convention on Abduction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.