Grayson, GA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I'm heir and received house with mortgage in Will I have been paying 7 years not told bank can I put name on county tax.

I have lived in house and paid mortgage for 7 years which is still in parents name. I want to add my name to county property tax to be able to claim homestead extension.

1 Lawyer Answer
John W. Chambers Jr
John W. Chambers Jr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You would need to have the property transferred to you for you to be able to claim the homestead exemption. The security deed may prohibit a transfer of the property without the lender's approval. You should consult with an attorney before undertaking to have the property transferred to you, as should your parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.