Spencer, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Libel & Slander for Tennessee

Q: live in TN, My son 18 (17 at conception) mom is 15, Her mother is using child as leverage over him...

My son just turned 18, mom is 15 he signed BC as father, child is in NICU. Her mother is useing the child as leverage over him, to pay her bills, Not speak to his family ect. She says that whats she says goes because her daughter is a minor. What are his legal rights to his child? He works a full time job and graduates this year, has also been providing for this child since conception. Her mother also posts bad things about me (father's mother) will not mention the name but it always coincides with our visits to see our son and first visit with our grandson.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: He has as much right to see that child as the mother does. Grandma needs to butt out. She can tell her daughter what to do, but as the child's father, your son can assert himself, even remove the child from the mother if the grandmother is creating such a hostile environment to be detrimental to the relationship between the child and the parents. You and your son need to see a lawyer and learn what both his and your rights are as both parent and grandparents in Tennessee. Your son is responsible for support his child and perhaps some medical bills for the pregnancy and birth, but don't let grandma blackmail or bully him.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.