Tennessee Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: Someone is pretending to be me , what do I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 27, 2019
Leonard Robert Grefseng's answer
Call the local police/detectives office- get the documents together and explain the whole history to them. If the other person has committed identity theft, the police will instruct you on how to prosecute them.

Q: How do I file an instance of a false report filed against me by a neighbor? I have a notarized affidavit as proof.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 22, 2019
Anthony Marvin Avery's answer
A lawyer would not help you anyway. You might complain to the Sheriff's Office but most LEO's are going to ignore you. The same goes with the DA's and Magistrates. I would recommend you get over it, as there is no way the neighbor will be prosecuted.

Q: What can I do about someone publicly posting false things and slander about me on social media?

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Nov 16, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I do not practice in Tennessee but your question remains open for four weeks. You could consult with an attorney in your state to evaluate the things posted, and learn if it would be cost-effective to pursue such a claim. You could also inquire with the attorney about the timeframes within which you must take action to preserve your legal rights, as defamation causes of action in general have relatively short statutes of limitations.

Tim Akpinar

Q: I'm being given death threats from 2 individuals, from a group I was "working" with. they issue me a cease and desist.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Collections and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Oct 2, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You have a claim for unjust enrichment, possibly contract claims and conversion. You need a member of the Trial Lawyers Assn for the place where this happened or the corporation is located. Look for one who handles commercial claims.

Q: Do I have a legitimate case against my former employer for defamation of character, lost wages, emotional damages, etc ?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Sep 26, 2018
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.'s answer
I have not researched that issue legally, because I have had no cases on that subject. However, when I was a senior partner at a large, multi-state law firm, it was very important, based on our lawyers' advice, that the CEO only disclose the date of hire and the date the employee left. That was very important. I suspect that our corporate lawyers were correct that you can get in a lot of trouble if you disclose more than that. I suggest that you obtain local counsel to help you with the...

Q: What do I do about a( sheriff dupty) and a 911 worker posting false accusations about me on Facebook

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Tennessee on
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Violation of privacy, slander---get screen captures of the postings, go see a member of the Tenn Assn for Justice who handles those cases--they give free consults

Q: My name isn't on the birth certificate, does not have my last name, mother has full custody, and i dont see him. Help?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 17, 2018
Marjorie A Bristol's answer
It sounds like you need a lawyer to help you establish paternity and potentially seek custody of your son. If you prove through DNA that you are the father, the court may order that the child has your last name.

Q: What are my options when my girlfriends ex husband is using false claims from his family and friends against me in court

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Child Custody for Tennessee on
Answered on Feb 24, 2018
Marjorie A Bristol's answer
You have no legal options related to the custody case. Your girlfriend does. She needs a lawyer. You may have a defamation cause of action but an attorney would need to review more facts than you have included here to advise you.

Q: My car got broken into and I got robbed due to negligence from the security team at a hotel. Would I win a lawsuit?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Tennessee on
Answered on Jan 31, 2018
Bennett James Wills' answer
Would you win? Who knows. You may have a case for negligence and other tort claims against the hotel. But you would have to prove that they didn't provide proper security or were otherwise negligence and that they breached their duty of care and caused you to suffer damages.

Q: What is the statute of limitations on tampering with evidence in Tennessee? Thank you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Jan 22, 2018
Lawrence James Arnkoff's answer
I believe the SOL on tampering with evidence which is a class C felony is 4 years.

Q: Need help with lawyer for daughter in sevier county Tn.for dcf and malpractice suit on hospitals.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Libel & Slander, Family Law and Medical Malpractice for Tennessee on
Answered on Dec 21, 2017
Marjorie A Bristol's answer
The are experienced attorney who can help your daughter. You can find them by searching here or other sites. She needs a lawyer as soon as possible. Best of luck!

Q: How to sue my ex girlfriend for damages to another car in an accident, stealing and totally my car, the person suing me

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Tennessee on
Answered on Oct 9, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If you had insurance that should cover the suit. Even if they say they aren't covering the event,you are being sued and they should cover you, and get you an attorney. That's what you pay insurance for. They will go after your girlfriend.You can also sue her for the loss of your car but you may be unlikely to recover for that.

Q: Can I sue my ex who is talking all kinds of lies about me on facebook?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Sep 27, 2017
Quinton E. Thompson's answer
You can sue him for defamation if he is lying about you and it has somehow damaged your reputation.

Q: live in TN, My son 18 (17 at conception) mom is 15, Her mother is using child as leverage over him...

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on May 13, 2017
Mr. William Ray Glasgow's answer
He has as much right to see that child as the mother does. Grandma needs to butt out. She can tell her daughter what to do, but as the child's father, your son can assert himself, even remove the child from the mother if the grandmother is creating such a hostile environment to be detrimental to the relationship between the child and the parents. You and your son need to see a lawyer and learn what both his and your rights are as both parent and grandparents in Tennessee. Your son is...

Q: Can I sue for defamation if someone claims I threatened their kids filed charges & the "threat" is found to be baseless

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Apr 18, 2016
David Alan Wolf's answer
A defamation case or claim is quite difficult and complex. There are two ways to view any case including a defamation case: 1. Legal Cause of Action; and 2. Practical Cause of Action. If the elements of a legal case can be alleged and proved, then an action of defamation can be pursued. Each State has different rules and standards in place for defamation cases. Then, the question is whether it makes practical sense to pursue such a case. If the statements were intentionally made with the...

Q: Where can I get a lawyer to sue someone for lieing on me

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Jun 20, 2015
John M DeProspo's answer
You have not provided enough information to understand what "lieing on you" means. The type of lawyer that handles defamation cases would be a personal injury lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.