Longmont, CO asked in Consumer Law for Wisconsin

Q: I bought a car in Wisconsin that I can't register in Colorado.

The owner didn't disclose that the vehicle has an illegal exhaust system with no catalytic converter. Can the owner be forced to buy the car back or fix it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gordon Leech
Gordon Leech
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • West Bend, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Your rights in Wisconsin against the seller of a used car depend on whether you bought from a dealer or a private party, what affirmative representations were made about the car, and the terms of the agreement you entered. There're too few things known about your purchase circumstances to be able to give you any opinion on your remedies at this point. I recommend that you consider contacting an attorney licensed is in Wisconsin that practices consumer protection for a consultation to obtain an opinion on what you may be able to do.

Generally speaking, if any seller made intentional misrepresentations, you will have remedies. If a dealer made misrepresentations of fact, even if they were not intentional, you will have remedies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.