Annandale On Hudson, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: i just received a notice from dmv (NY) that my license would be suspended if i didn't respond to a ticket from 2008.

can they still collect on it after all this time? i don't recall getting the ticket, and i should have responded, but it's been so long on a car i no longer have. the ticket was for inadequate lights.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Best to just address it and get the case reopened otherwise everytime you're driving in NY there is a citation you can receive for unlicensed motorist and potentially other scofflaw charges, some of which can be severe.

1 user found this answer helpful

Colette Katz
Colette Katz
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yes, you must answer the summons. If the ticket is indeed for adequate lights, it has no points. You can either fight it or pay for it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.