Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Texas

Q: If a first time offender has 3 bonds set at $100,000 $200,000 and $50,000. Can a bond "reduction" set all to $75,000?

One of the bonds has been raised instead if lowered. And the inmate is a first time offender 20 years old she has been waiting a year for this reduction.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Saputo Jr.
Paul Saputo Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A judge may reduce the bond if her attorney files a motion to reduce bond. It's up to the judge. If she has been in jail over a year, it might be a good time for a judge to consider a bond reduction, especially if the trial delay was the result of the state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.