Hartford, CT asked in Business Formation and Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: Looking to start LLC to finance other business ventures down the road. How should we set it up given situation?

I just graduated college and got a salaried job. My fiance is currently in school and will be finishing nxt year. We want to start a business on paper so that we can invest in other businesses. We want to eventually purchase a car wash. We're interested in purchasing 3family duplex to generate some rental income but also occupy one of the units. However, my fiance got in a minor car accident and is being sued. Since the car was in his mother's name she is also being sued. It really hasn't gone anywhere, and I am hoping it doesn't as the guy who is suing them only had a flat tire and his truck had side damage but due to the age & mileage the insurance company totaled it. He claimed he had medical injuries but didn't seek medical attention until 7 months after the accident. Ins. co. tried to settle and give him $1,500 but he didn't accept it and its going to trial. What would be the best way to set up the LLC given the situation? We would only be adding them to help with financing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Seek the help of a business attorney who can properly advise you.

Matthew A. Wiley agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.