Green Bay, WI asked in Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin

Q: my friend has a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend. she violated the order when he contacted her.

they have a child together and he keeps threatening to take her to court if she doesn't do what he says. is there anything that she can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
William F Sulton
William F Sulton
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Your question is unclear. It sounds like a woman has a restraining order against a man. The restraining order prohibits the man from contacting the woman. The restraining order does not, however, prohibit the woman from contacting the man. As such, it follows that the man cannot "take her to court" for contacting him. If the man is threatening the woman--which I interpret to mean dissuading her from doing something--then the man has committed two crimes: (1) violating the restraining order and (2) intimidating a witness or complaining person.

In general, people with kids use a third-party intermediary. That seems like a good solution here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.