Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: If Bond conditions state there's a no contact between two people can the person who is not on bond still send messages?

I'm on bond it states that I cannot have contact with a person or their residence, but they continue to message me multiple times a day. Is this legal

Sarah Schmeiser
Sarah Schmeiser answered on Aug 10, 2021

Yes. If you are on bond for a crime and the Court orders you to have no contact with someone you are the one constrained, the other person is not. However, if there is an issue with this contact and you want it to stop, you may be able to take other action such as requesting a restraining order... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Child Custody for Wisconsin on
Q: Can my 15 yr old file a restraining order on his father ?
David N. Iancu
David N. Iancu answered on Dec 2, 2020

Yes, but the other parent will be filing on his behalf as guardian.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: Is it a violation of a RO if threats are sent to a 3rd party, but 3rd person isn’t asked to pass on the threat but does?

I hold a harassment RO against a sibling in WI. The injunction requires them to avoid “causing” anyone from contacting me. Contact was to a mutual family member where they, unprompted, threatened to ruin me financially and lied about my conduct; a repeat of some of the behavior that the court... Read more »

Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst answered on Oct 14, 2020

I believe that the Court would find this to be a threat through a third party. You would need to find exceptions to the hearsay rule to have these threats admitted into evidence. The third party receiving the communication would need to testify. A statement by the person It would be considered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: Do I need representation for DV initial court appearance, the one within the 72 hours no contact?

My wife hit me and I have a black eye, I pushed her off of me and left the house. She called PD and they issued a warrant for me. She said I punched her and that she didn't hit me at all. Now I'm being charged. Court is tomorrow 10-30-19

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 29, 2019

I you feel you can represent yourself and obtain a reasonable bond, then you can take the chance.

You will eventually need one, so why not start now?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: i was attacked by son at my newly purchased home, he calls cops , i get charged with domestic abuse. Last seen him 2 yrs

police come, ask 2 questions then arrest me. they did not ask me my Maranda rights and took me to jail. bail was $850. I am recently divorced and won the house in the divorce & i just recently refinanced it and now only in my name.

Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Feb 4, 2018

I do not see a question. Miranda rights are read so any statement you make can be included in the case. Perhaps your first two answers can be excluded. Is the charge disorderly conduct? I think you should see an attorney and get discovery.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: Is it ok for a spouse of a person who is prohibited from owing fire arms to own one.

I know someone who sells guns and said they were in his store trying to buy a gun for him knowing he is legally not supposed to have them. What is the law regarding his spouse registering them and letting him use them. They both know he cannot legally possess them. And is there a way to turn... Read more »

Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson answered on Nov 25, 2017

Husband may not possess a firearm (gunpowder driven). Spouse can have one (but not a good idea.). He can not use it, handle it or save it some place.. He also can not buy one whether or not they will sell him one. Enhanced criminal penalties can apply if he is found with one while committing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: I was a victim of domestic abuse for years. He moved away but still comes back a lot, can he be arrested?

I have pictures from injuries from the abuse, text messages from him admitting it, a journal of all the dates, and witnesses. Can he be arrested?

Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards answered on Aug 23, 2017

It all depends on what he is doing when he keeps coming back to the residence. If he is engaged in violent or offensive behavior with you, consider notifying the police since you can get a record of it from a police report. If this happens frequently, you may want to consider filing for a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Wisconsin on
Q: my friend has a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend. she violated the order when he contacted her.

they have a child together and he keeps threatening to take her to court if she doesn't do what he says. is there anything that she can do?

William F Sulton Esq.
William F Sulton Esq. answered on May 15, 2017

Your question is unclear. It sounds like a woman has a restraining order against a man. The restraining order prohibits the man from contacting the woman. The restraining order does not, however, prohibit the woman from contacting the man. As such, it follows that the man cannot "take her to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.