Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: Parents have equal days with a 14 yr. Daughter can she make the decision to stay with only one parent

She is cussed and slapped by the one that she wishes not to see this has been seen by other people

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary W. Wangler
Gary W. Wangler pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Belleville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The short answer is no. As long as the court order is in effect, all parties must comply. The solution may be to file what's called a "Petition to Modify Allocation of Parental Responsibilities." Consult a lawyer for details on how to go about doing that in your particular case. Also, if there is physical abuse you may decide to file for an Emergency Order of Protection on behalf of the child. I would recommend consulting a lawyer first.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.