Morris Plains, NJ asked in Collections for New Jersey

Q: My NJ Class Loan defaulted and now I have a judgment against me for $12,000 with fees. I was able to get a forbearance

on my Navient loans of $60,000. I am also going through a divorce. I am not bringing in enough to try and make payments currently on my NJ Class Loan until after the divorce is final and I move. Is there anything I can do to stop the garnishment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The only ways to stop a garnishment (if issued) is to file bankruptcy or get them to agree to a monthly amount and have them put in writing not to go through with same. Short of that, not much. Also note that most student loans are not dischargeable in Bankruptcy, only put them on hold, but interest and fees continue to accumulate

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.