North Attleboro, MA asked in Animal / Dog Law and Constitutional Law for Massachusetts

Q: The 2nd of this month I was unexpectedly hospitalized and had a dog at home. I called my mother to explain the scenario.

She had my contact information there so I could give the landlord permission to unlock the door. Someone the police became involved(which was not necessary) and today the maintenance man informs me that police were going all around my dwelling with ipads photographing every square inch. This is uncalled for and upsets me. I do own a small amount of lab glassware simply because chemistry and growing crystals. Granted to the untrained eye the sight of chemistry equipment automatically equals meth lab. My chemistry activities are all 100% legal and exist only for personal entertainment and to further my knowledge. Maybe not this fall but if not next, I plan to go back to school for a degree in organic chemistry.

So my question if this, should I contact the police department and if so should I have counsel with me?

Also, did they have any right to enter my home in the first place? And if so, did they have the right to photograph my entire life. I don't hurt or bother anyone.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Definitely contact a criminal defense attorney such as myself asap to discuss your risks and potential civil rights and privacy rights.


More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.