Asked in Domestic Violence for Rhode Island

Q: Called the police on my boyfriend for kicking down my door. I did not give a statement & do not want him charged.

My boyfriend was previously arrested for domestic vandalism for kicking my car and for violating a no contact order as we were pulled over together a month later. A 3rd offense can really ruin his life and career and I would like case dismissed. What can be done? And what are the potential consequences if state wins the case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: It may be time to find a new boyfriend. . . one without criminal record perhaps. One who respects you and does not need a restraining order. One who does not violate restraining orders and commit vandalism, maybe? If the state prevails, he may find himself a guest of the adult correctional institution for a period of time. Even if he doesn't get any hard time, you may find that he is potentially likely to commit a fourth offense, given the history and pattern evidenced here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.