Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Rhode Island Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Legal Malpractice for Rhode Island on
Q: I have a GPS monitor on. It has caused permanent damage to my ankle. Can I sue for damages?

I'm on Interstate Parole. I had a violation and had to go back and serve 90 days. Upon release and arrival back to Rhode Island, a GPS monitor was attached. The first time I had a monitor, it was for 90 days. I did not get any marks then.

However, it has been six months since I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 23, 2021

I'm not hearing you had medical treatement. Until you get it there is no record showing you have anything caused by the monitor. Once you have that you can ask to have it switched to the other ankle or made so that you can work a sock in between the brace and your ankle.

You should...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Rhode Island on
Q: I am in the process of a divorce. I am pregnant with someone elses child. What steps would I need to establish paternity

Husband and I have lived separately for over 5 years. Divorce papers have been filed. The baby's biological father admits paternity and wants to be on the birth certificate/ the child to have his last name.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jan 31, 2021

Your attorney will be able to help you collect and present the appropriate evidence to meet the burden of proof required to overcome the presumption of paternity of a child born during a marriage in the State of Rhode Island. If you have not yet met with, and retained an attorney to advocate for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Rhode Island on
Q: During divorce and in the agreement I put she has to go back to her maiden name and she signed it . So she has to right?

We have no kids . She in another relationship but she keeps saying oh just because I signed it doesn’t mean I need too

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jan 15, 2021

Meet with your family court attorney to review the contractual language and evaluate its precise terms. Generally speaking any competent adult may use any name they like, as long as it in not for an illegal purpose.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Public Benefits and Social Security for Rhode Island on
Q: My daughter's father died in Jan '20 the 1st stim. check still went to him and I never got it. How do I get the 2nd ch

He received the first stimulus check to his address I'm assuming his mother took it because I never got it. After he died Jan 2nd 2020 his father did his taxes and claimed my daughter so will my second stimulus check be sent there also? How do I make sure that it goes to the right place. Also... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Jan 5, 2021

The IRS handles the Economic Income Payments (stimulus checks). IRS will be issuing the second round of payments based on the information the IRS has on file for your 2019 tax return, the information provided by Non-Filers tool, payment information entered on the Get My Payment tool, or information... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Rhode Island on
Q: I had a my index knuckle replaced in 2015. It failed in 2019...broke. How many others have failed...his patent???

Doctor has patents on replacement joints. I have 2. Index failed in 4 retirement.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 17, 2020

A Rhode Island attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal involving the joint failure. To make a meaningful assessment, an attorney would probably need to review your records with a medical professional - and possibly a biomedical engineer.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on
Q: My ex wife is in contempt of court for not selling my house when our son graduated as stated in the divorce decree

Will she have to give me the house or sell it and give me the amount of money started that she owes me

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Oct 27, 2020

Talk to your attorney to help prepare and present your motion for relief.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Is it excessive force if the police cause me to get stitches
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody answered on Oct 27, 2020

It might be. But it’s the details that matter. You need to speak to a lawyer. Call one.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Rhode Island on
Q: Can a foreign rights holder issue a worldwide takedown on content they don’t own in the majority of the world?

Sony Pictures Network India issued a series of YouTube copyright strikes on my YouTube channel, leading to the channel being terminated. My videos contain plenty of NBA content, meaning that I do not own the rights to any of it, and Sony owns NBA broadcasting rights in India (and India only). Yet... Read more »

Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick answered on Oct 9, 2020

If you are not abiding by YouTube's TOU then they have the ability to shut you down. Also, I'm not sure whether you're correct in Sony's ownership of the NBA IP in the USA. It's possible they own other types of non-broadcasting rights in the NBA IP in the USA that would... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: How does my boyfriend get the charges dropped?

Long story short my boyfriends grandmother was harassing and yelling at him to pick up two small stones of concrete. He told her to stop giving an attitude or he was not going to do so. She continued to follow him around the yard, as he opened my car door she then pulled my door back, pushed him... Read more »

Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody answered on Sep 30, 2020

Domestic charges are serious and potentially a felony depending on the grandmother’s age. Your boyfriend needs a lawyer. It may be possible to get the charges dropped, but there is no ‘one size fits all’ answer. Please contact and retain an attorney. Don’t try to do this alone. I hope... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Rhode Island on
Q: My five year old daughter was expelled from town soccer because we refused to wear a mask

we were outside away from other people

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Sep 28, 2020

Work with your attorney to evaluate, review all the evidence, and the facts and circumstances, to advise you of your rights, and possible remedies surrounding your 5 year old daughter's expulsion, in response to your refusal to comply with mask wearing rules.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Rhode Island on
Q: I live in RI my ex moved to KS in 2013 when he moved I was able to get the name of the company he was working for I gave

Info to my case worker RI dept Child support. His paychecks were garnished for awhile then he left that job again I tracked down where he got new job gave info to case worker & started getting child support again. Then I took him back to court for no paying Again. The judge upped his support... Read more »

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Sep 28, 2020

Your attorney may be able to enlist the services of an investigator to find the information you seek. CSE does get employment and intercept information. Good Luck to you and your child(ren)

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Real Estate Law for Rhode Island on
Q: If a person has been nominated to be executor of will, steals estate from beneficiary is it criminal.

A prior will has been submitted with different executor. The other nominee has already stolen all property and is trying to sell a house under beneficiary's nose and keep everything. Is this a crime or it it a civil issue?

Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody answered on Sep 28, 2020

This is a trusts and estates issue. It may be civil in nature, but if you are alleging theft, there may be a criminal element to it. You should find a civil litigator who has experience or knowledge about contesting a will or challenging the distribution of assets from an estate. From the way... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Rhode Island on
Q: How do authorities know of no contact order voilations? Is it only if I share the evidence or do they search their phone
Thomas Briody
Thomas Briody answered on Sep 6, 2020

They know because of a complaint, or a text message, or an email, or because of a witness.... or many other reasons. There is no one answer. If you say there is a violation, that may be enough. If there is a voicemail, the police will want to listen to it. If you have a restraining order... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island on
Q: My husband contact police due to being assulted on home confinement and that was considered as having police involvement

What is going to happen with him and will he stay in jail for this situation that isn't his fault what so ever. Help me please I don't know what to do about it in my own.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Aug 13, 2020

It is very nice that you obviously love and care about your husband. You should avoid speaking about this matter and encourage him to consult privately and confidentially with his attorney so they may present their best defenses to the court, where the judge will decide the gravitas of this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I install a camera in my bedroom

I had to move back in with my father and his wife until I can purchase a home. I have fear of his wife as she has verbally assaulted and threatened me numerous times. I installed a security camera in my bedroom for my own piece of mind. She has covered it once and has stated if I do it again she... Read more »

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Aug 11, 2020

Good afternoon, Fearful of Threats,

Since you are being permitted to live in the house of your father and his wife, it is they and not you who may decided what type of security cameras are permitted in their home. The room where you sleep is their room; they are just letting you sleep...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: Case Description Emergency motion question regarding returning daughter to unsafe situation

My daughter has been with me for summer visitation since june14th. I have concerns about her safety with her mother so I haven't returned her to her mother. Today her mother filed an emergency court motion and the judge ordered me to bring her back and gave us a court date of August 18th.... Read more »

John LaRochelle
John LaRochelle answered on Jul 24, 2020

You must comply with the court's order. There is no excuse to fail to do so. If you feared so much for you child's safety, you should have filed your own motion, requesting the court to order you not to return your daughter to her mother. If your concern is so great and your daughter is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island on
Q: New neighbor leaves one of their two dogs out barking for hours at a time in rural Richmond. What are my rights?
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jul 23, 2020

You can call animal control or whoever handles animal matters in your area.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Rhode Island on
Q: I can not find a lawyer to help me any further
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 20, 2020

There's a section here on this site for finding lawyers. See the tab above to the left (Find a Lawyer). In addition to your own independent online searches, the Rhode Island Bar Association has resources for finding lawyers. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Rhode Island on
Q: How do i find out about a power of attorney given by living parents to one child of three? Is it recorded anywhere?

One parent is deceased and the others won't answer questions about the document. How do we find out what it covers as a child of the parents?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jul 16, 2020

Powers of attorney are sometimes recorded in the local land records, but more often than not they are not. The obvious answer is to ask the living parents and/or the child to whom the power of attorney was given.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Rhode Island on
Q: can a minors legal guardian keep custody over biological father in court

if so what type of information should be brought to court proceedings to help keep minor child with legal guardian

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jul 14, 2020

If a Guardian has been appointed. The father will be well advised to work with their attorney to present evidence of a significant change in circumstances to support a proposed modification of the arrangement, along with supporting evidence significant enough to meet their burden to show that it is... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.