Holly Springs, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: Mother passed away in 1999, left no will. I had 3 siblings. Hubby and I pay the taxes on the home. Who owns the home?

Oldest brother lived in the home until his death 2 years ago. I have allowed his caretakers(2) to stay in the home basically free of charge. Deed is still in mother's name, taxes come to my home addressed to me. Can I put the house in my name without the consent of my surviving siblings?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory Herman-Giddens
Gregory Herman-Giddens
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You and your siblings own the home, and you cannot transfer it to yourself without consent of your siblings and their spouses, if any.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.