Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: Can a family member who's convicted of a felony be a guardian of a minor in arkansas

I am the maternal grandmother of the minor child and my daughter is homeless and using drugs. The child has been residing with me for over 3 months. Can I legally be a temporary guardian in arkansas? I am not convicted of any violent crimes nor have I had a history of drug use or criminal activity recently. My grandson is in danger with his mom but also under her control is not stable. I want him to be in a safe familiar and stable environment with family. However I am the only blood relative that is not using drugs or not mentally ill. I have a hearing Friday for temporary guardianship.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The only way to be a guardian is to be pardoned by the governor. You can look at § 28-65-203. Qualifications of guardian

(a) A natural person who is a resident of this state, eighteen (18) or more years of age, of sound mind, not a convicted and unpardoned felon, is qualified to be appointed guardian of the person and of the estate of an incapacitated person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.