Egg Harbor Township, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: I am above 21 and my mother just received her green card. How long it is going to take for me to receive my green card?

I am 22 right now and my mother just received her green card. She is going to start her application for me as soon as possible. Do you know on average how long it usually takes for an unmarried child to receive his or her green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Collingswood, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Has your mother filed for you yet? How did your mother get her green card? Was there a way to be included in your mother's case when you were under 21? Where do you live?

These are all important questions that need to be discussed in order to properly advise. However, generally speaking, unmarried children over 21 of permanent residents will take several years for the petition to become available. Consider speaking with an attorney to discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.