Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Me and the father of my child are not married, but are living together,can I legally move to another city/state with her

He keeps threatening to get me kicked out and to take her from me. He also has a history of violence, drug and alcohol abuse. He has also been in and out of jail quite a few times.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabina Tomshinsky
Sabina Tomshinsky
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you may since by default, the mother of a child born to unmarried parents has all the time-sharing rights and decision-making authority over the child. The father has no rights until he pursues a paternity action. However, if the father files a paternity action within 6 months of your out of state move, the Court may require you to return the child to Florida. All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.